03 February 2010

Pauper To Princess

I found an article on WSJ about living in NYC with a salary less than $30K.  In a nutshell, Neil Templin's daughter Mariana did the following to survive for a year and end up with $5,000 in savings and $1,000 in her 401(k):
  1. Chose the tiny bedroom in a Park Slope apartment for $750 a month
  2. Joined a food co-op and always took home chicken bones from a night out with pals
  3. Dumpster-dove for bread from a local market
  4. Visited museums with "suggested" donations...for no donation
  5. Smuggled bottles of wine into bars instead of buying drinks

That's all well and good, but as a 23-year old in Manhattan, I find some of those things are just unnecessary...and embarrassing.  I apologize, Neil.  I like where your daughter's head is at, but I think there are ways to spend less without sacrificing creature comforts or having to perfect the forward dive. Heck, there's even room to splurge if you do it right.

1. A place to call home: Finding a decent, cheap place to live is probably the biggest problem in the city, but I agree with the way Mariana handled it.  Splitting a place with lots of friends definitely brings down rent and utilities.  But, before you start your search, ask around!  Friends may know no-fee brokers or a deal on a great unlisted place...that's what you should aim for.

2. Food swing: Consider buying a CSA share for about $300.  For 22 weeks starting in June, you'd receive tons of different veggies per week.  Not only would you end up saving on produce, but you also force yourself to eat healthier.  To knock down the price even more, split a share with some friends.  The boxes are typically for a family of 4.

3. Workout plan: Nix the gym.  Join a running club if you need group motivation.  If not, find a cozy route and hit the pavement.  Cable subscribers?  One word: FitTV.

4. Deal maker: Don't change what you normally do, unless it's for the better.  There are plenty of ways to enjoy the things you love!  Just gotta wait for the right deal to come along... 2-for-1 off-Broadway tickets!  NYC Ballet for $20.  Spa Week in just a couple of months!

5. Caught up on the web: Sites like Groupon, Lifebooker, and Yelp sometimes have crazy deals for subscribers/members.  It doesn't hurt to do some research on the web before you conquer NYC.

Anyone else have some advice or tips for dumpster-divers? Let me hear 'em! Happy Hump Day. xo

photo via flickr

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah theres no way i would be able to do that...minus the museum thing, but I use my bank of america card and it gets you into 90 percent of museums free .

and i will say, the one good thing about the recession is I can bargain shop ike none other now...ill never pay full price for anything again!

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the $free.99 but there's a point at which cheap and thrifty becomes rude and trashy. Museums depend on donations to survive. If you don't pay, they close their doors.

Also - there are BYOB restaurants in Manhattan. Don't get my favorite club shut down by sipping on your own sauce. Also, if I was with her and she got her ass kicked out for personal wine bottles, you best believe I won't be leaving with her.

Lastly - can we point out this chick was from Brooklyn. I guarantee she had hipster stamped across her forehead. They're not normal people anyways, so to tout her lifestyle is like saying its also completely normal to camp out in your friends backyard for a year.

He didn't mention how much his daughter probably spent on copious amounts of weed, stupid bowler hats, or paying the bill on dates with her imaginary friend. Cause everyone in BK needs a drop-dead-fred of their own. What, you dont have one?

Judith said...

Well, I didn't think to much of that article considering she was fortunate to have someone pay for school. I second the donations to the museums. I still pay even with my student ID. I get discounts at movies, museums and sometimes restaurants. Hey it doesn't hurt to ask! Good one...Judith

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Your suggestions are MUCH better. The first set sounds kinda like hell. I'd rather not have money in my savings account, honestly, than dumpster dive or be the girl that smuggles booze into a bar, haha! Great tips!

Nicole Marie said...

such good tips. i'm obsessed with groupon!! splitting meals and restaurants. i never end up finishing the whole plate anyways and then it just goes to waste. happy hour!

VanessasRunway said...

Great tips, maybe you should have written the article! Dumpster diving for food always weirds me out, so much bacteria! yikes!

WendyB said...

Yeah, I felt grossed out by this. There's something very ostentatious about it. "Look at me! I'm not spending money!"

dee said...

Totally agree with you on this. I lived in NYC on about $35k when I first moved in and it was tough, but totally manageable if you are creative and thrifty!

Unknown said...

i couldn't agree with you more. dumpster-diving is absolutely and completely unacceptable. that's not to say that there isn't a way to survive in the city for cheap, but you are way more spot on than the wsj. great post :)