06 May 2009

Mom's the word: Beauty

{With Mother's Day around the bend, cheesy Hallmark cards, red tulips, and Godiva dark chocolate truffles flash through my mind. Frankly, I'm sick of doing the same thing every year. After trying to figure out my plan of action, I realized that Mother's Day is really about remembering the lessons she's taught you. It's appreciating the perfectly folded tees, scrambled eggs in the morning, and a cold glass of her homemade lemonade when its 90 degrees out.

To commemorate my Mom, these next couple of days, I'll share with you her (secret) rules for beauty, style, and good eats! I'll be honest, for every single one of these, I made a face like "Mom, get real"...and wouldn't you know, she was absolutely right! Isn't that always the case? Here's to you, Mommy...}

  • For silky sheen, apply a tiny coat of olive oil on your mane at least once monthly. Egg yolks, too, work wonders. Both will feel absolutely wrong, but just wash out after a half hour and the results are close-to-model shine.
  • During the winter, when your knuckles get crackly, throw on some cotton gloves and nice hand lotion. There's nothing worse than dry, rough, and bloody knuckles. Yuck and yuck.

  • Wear light make-up, nothing heavy, overdone, or fake. My mom follows this rule religiously. She only uses an eyelash curler and light lipstick for daytime and still looks as gorgeous as ever.

  • Don't ever dye your hair because once you start, you won't stop. I didn't listen to this advice, but I wish I had! Highlights were never my look...took almost 2 years to grow them out!

  • Always moisturize your face. Always wear SPF...for obvious reasons. Really, the secret to avoiding wrinkles and sunspots. Her favorite is Complex 15.

  • Impeccable hair is a big deal. You can tell a lot by a person's hair. A tiny clip, headband, anything...doesn't have to be glamorous...just brushed and neat.
xo!

10 comments:

daughterofmartha said...

The best advice is always common sense. Especially when it comes to dying your hair. As for wearing light makeup, that rule is hard to follow. I love finding sweet deals at Sephora and Beauty.com!

kadler said...

These are great tips! Sounds like things my mom would say, too :)

I'm a little scared to try the olive oil one... but if I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome Sara said...

I live in olive oil!!! the best stuff in the world, its also a awesome moisturizer Awesome tips, fab!!

MS said...

Love this! Moms are so wise.

Anonymous said...

Such fun, simple tips. Your ma is a wise one!

Aartee said...

Thanks for sharing! I haven't done the egg yolk in my hair but I love using Olive oil!

Kosmopolight said...

Thanks for sharing! Mom's always know what's up. I've heard a few of these from my mom, too, but haven't tried the olive oil and egg yolk in my hair. I'll give it a shot!

Valerie Rojas Braverman said...

Moms are wise right?! What do your moms tell you usually?

TheBeautyFile said...

I love your moms advice...the one thing I remember my mom telling me was "never leave the house without makeup."

I must have been eight or nine years old....

Anonymous said...

That was one of the coolest things I have read. Thanks from the 'Middle"