10 August 2009

Reel to Real: Coming to America

1988's Coming to America showed a glimpse of luxury in a world filled with colored-leather jackets, defined shoulder pads, and ripped acid wash denim. It also just so happens to be a movie that re-runs on Comedy Central about 20 times a year and one that I've become strangely familiar with (in the category with Goonies, Home Alone, and My Best Friend's Wedding). No surprise that when I spotted this Matthew Williamson rabbit coat, I knew EXACTLY where I had seen it...

1. Matthew Williamson Long Belted Rabbit Coat
2. Angel Jackson Woven Studded Atena Bag
3. Balmain Peak-shouldered Leather Jacket
5. Searle Long, Silk-lined Leather Glove
6. Forever 21 Patent Ballet Slipper

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!

Anonymous said...

That coat is totally gorgeous. But I'd be afraid of trying to live up to Eddie's posh look.

Kristen said...

I love that movie... I have seen it replayed a million times, and yet I still think it's funny every time!

Vivi said...

What a great movie to notice the fashion influence of!!

Nicole Marie said...

oh my gosh that movie was great!!

TheBeautyFile said...

Perfect!!!
Love your analogy!

a said...

WOW! I just saw it the other night...lol.
I love the barber shop scene...classic eddie muphy and arsinio hall!

Unknown said...

Love that bag and Balmain jacket!

dee said...

Ahh!! That is HYSTERICAL! And you are so right. Just the other night it was on and we watched a few snippets.

Waynemw said...

i would never wear any of this lol

Rate Your Hairdresser said...

Excellent comparison! ha :)