09 June 2009

{being red} road-tested: cosmetics


Throughout the past couple of weeks, I've sifted through my cosmetics collection and replaced a few things. Not with my usual department store finds, but picks from the pharmacy aisle, which I was pleasantly delighted to find yielded the same, if not better, results.

1. Maybelline XXL Extensions, $7.95: Often skeptical of mascara from the start, this one tends to shut me up pretty quickly. It does everything I want in a tube--lengthens, volumizes, and adds a ridiculous amount of drama. Not too shabby for a tiny $8.00 wonder. Be sure to wiggle the wand as you apply so that you don't clump!

2. Bonne Bell Glimmer Bronze, $3.95: My best friend and I worship this bronzer. I actually stock up (4 at a time) whenever I get my hands on them because Bonne Bell is sadly becoming scarce. With just the right amount of glitz and tint, this loose powder literally transforms your face from matte mess to glamourous gal. Remember that a LITTLE goes a long way!

3. St. Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub, $3.99: Nothing like a tingled, fresh feeling after a long day at work. Tiny sand particles scrub, scrub, scrub all those loose skin cells and dirt from your pretty face, leaving you gleaming and smooth. Once a day should do the trick--I tested mine at nighttime.

4. Barbisol Shaving Cream, Original or Aloe, $1.49: A timeless product with classic scents and a pretty nice price tag. Why fix it if it's not broken? Good ol' Barb gets the job done. I found that it works best on legs and underarms...

5. Nivea Lipcare Pearl + Shine, $3.99: Unrelenting pearl-essence in this small lip balm is equally perfect for casual daytime and a girl's night out. It's dirt cheap and also comes in SPF formula, which is great if you roast in the sun like me.

xo!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great list! I'm thinking of picking up the Nivea balm. Good to see it got a great review.
Love your blog!
-Amy
lepontelumes.blogspot.com

Aartee said...

LOVE the apricot scrub and I will have to try out tha tmascara as I need help in that department lol!

Elizabeth Marie said...

Hi love!
I am sooo getting that mascara! Thank you...I have tried so many.

And the Apricot Scrub is one of my favs!

I hope you're having a good day! XO

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made this post-I hardly ever shell out all the $ for department store goodies when I get the same kind of product so much cheaper at drugstores. That St. Ives scrub is definitely my favorite face product-and the apricot smell is a real bonus! And as for lipbalms, Nivea's Sleek & Shine is must-have on vacation!

Gabby said...

I love this post! Cheap finds make my day!

drollgirl said...

BAH! these tips are so good! i used to use my dad's barbasol. I AM GOING BACK TO IT!! and i can't wait to try that maybelline mascara. my days of buying lancome definicils are behind me. HOORAY FOR BEAUTY BARGAINS! and...HOORAY FOR YOU!

Nicole Marie said...

oh thank you thank you! i love me some pharmacy cosmetics!

Helen said...

i love st ives apricot scrub, i might go use it now actually to freshen up!

Unknown said...

I swear by Apricot Scrub. Love it so much! and by the shaving cream too!!