12 February 2009

Keep your stems spankin' fresh

 

I love getting flowers, even if I buy them for myself.  Whether you splurge on a little self-encouragement, or get a bunch from your Valentine, be sure to make them last...it's not like money grows on trees these days: 
  • Use cold water, not warm, makes them dry and limp. Yuck.
  • Water should not exceed more than 6"...also clip off leaves that may be under or touching the water, or else you'll end up with moldy mush.
  • Cut the stems every so often, like every other day, I'd say.  Be sure to replace the water everytime you do!
  • Use a tiny bit of lemon juice or white vinegar in the water vs. "flower food"...that junk doesn't work.
  • If your stems look super wilty, quickly dip the ends in near-boiling water.  Perks them up in a flash.
Tips, verbetum, via CasaSugar
Photo via Rosenow Floral via frolic

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew NONE of this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

these are awesome tips and yes I agree with Sal above- I've never heard this before so I'll have to try it out this Saturday!

drollgirl said...

this arrangement is gorgeous!!!

Nicole Marie said...

oh thanks for the tips! i never really learned how to care for my flowers

Blair Friedeman said...

What good tips! Thank you. I just received some and want them to last as long as possible.

MS said...

Thanks for the tips. I love floweres but I just hate how the wilt so quickly. I will try this tips...maybe this weekend I hope!