25 March 2009

Living longer means giving up french fries and doughnuts


Did anyone happen to catch yesterday's Oprah?  Dr. Oz talked about how reducing your calorie intake to about 1600-1900 (approx.) a day (appropriately named the "calorie restriction" lifestyle), can potentially increase your chances of living past the age of 100!

This "diet" restricts you to veggies, fruits, nuts, beans (maybe a lean meat here and there)...ALL DAY, EVERYDAY.   So my question is, (a) would you rather outlive all your relatives, maybe have more energy throughout the day, and live and extraordinarily healthy lifestyle or (b) live a bit shorter, sip on sweet, cold cocktails, and snack on bacon?  Hmm, I know my answer.


And if anyone knows someone who follows this regimen...I'm curious to hear ALL about it!  Want to see how many cals you'd have to give up to live like this?  Here.

photos via here and there

11 comments:

drollgirl said...

BA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!! i was making a face reading what the good doctor recommended. blech. i have the same answer as you! ahahhaha hah ah ha.

Anonymous said...

I laugh at the notion of life without fries.

Anonymous said...

life is not worth living without carbs

Awesome Sara said...

Give me bacon and mijotos and I don't care if I die at 40.

Nicole Marie said...

definitely b!!!

I want to enjoy my life. not look back and wish i'd had that margarita

Clare said...

Having almost died twice already at the grand age of 38 I will be having my bacon, burgers and alcohol thank you very much!

Unknown said...

I watched part of it on dvr but then felt bad about myself for wanting to enjoy my life so I stopped. I guess I could give up the fries but wine and the occasional burger? who am I kidding..I could never give up fries.

Unknown said...

most likely live a bit shorter!!! I'm fairly healthy but I love meat and I love chocolate ...what can I do?

Kosmopolight said...

Ha! I've heard about this low calorie = long life thing before, and I've always thought, "Who wants to live that long if you can't eat anything??"

kadler said...

I don't even like bacon, and I would choose bacon.

MS said...

Oh no your going to hate me-- I try to. BUT the occasionally french fry and donut does cross my lips (my downfall is sweets). I'm a health nut and a vegetarian so....I'm hoping by the time I'm an oldie 70 will be the new 30. Hahaha.